Offered by our registered Physiotherapists in real-time.
TELEHEALTH: VIRTUAL PHYSIOTHERAPY SESSIONS
WHAT IS TELEHEALTH AND WHAT DOES A VIRTUAL PHYSIOTHERAPY SESSION ENTAIL?
Traditionally, physiotherapy has been considered a fairly hands on profession with close person to person interactions and the addition of manual therapeutic techniques. With the current circumstances of Covid-19 this has challenged these traditional notions of our profession. In situations where these types of interactions are not available, whether it be due to a global pandemic causing social distancing restrictions, or simply an extended work trip out of town, why put your physical health on the back burner just because you cannot physically get to the clinic? Today’s evolving technology has enabled us to help empower you to meet your physical health goals through the channels of Telehealth.
Telehealth–or virtual physiotherapy–is a one-on-one online physiotherapy session performed in real-time with a registered physical therapist. By using a physiotherapy driven video software and your home tablet, cellphone, or computer, this enables us to perform a typical physiotherapy session through a virtual platform remotely. This empowers you to be able to continue with your physiotherapy treatment when leaving your office is not an option, when it’s too difficult to get away from the kids, or when the weather conditions are forcing you to stay off the roads.
BENEFITS OF TELEHEALTH
Telehealth offers many of the benefits of a conventional physiotherapy session. This includes a history taking, physical range of motion and mobility testing, special testing to help rule out or in a specific diagnosis, as well as taking standardized outcome measures to help measure progress or plateaus with treatment. Education on injury specific advice such as pain management strategies, activity restrictions, as well as prescription of a home based treatment plan will also be incorporated into your telehealth session. Home based exercises can also be incorporated into your program to help mimic the hands on manual therapy techniques a physiotherapist may use in an in-person consultation. Advice on bracing, taping, or additional referral notes will also be provided if indicated.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM TELEHEALTH?
- Pre & Post Surgical Conditions
- Muscle Strains and Ligament Sprains
- Osteoarthritic Pain
- Poor Workplace Ergonomics
- Chronic Pain
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Exercise Progressions
WHAT IS YOUR INVESTMENT?
- First time initial assessment $80-$90
- Follow-up sessions $60
- Frequency of follow-up sessions is highly variable based on type of injury, this can be discussed if needed to help you meet your personal goals
HOW TO SET UP YOUR VIRTUAL APPOINTMENT
To set-up your virtual appointment, please call (519-541-9899) or email ([email protected]) the clinic. Consent forms will be provided via email for you to sign and return, prior to starting your virtual treatment session. Additional instructions on how to use the physiotherapy software as well as set-up instructions will also be provided at this time.
It is recommended that you set up your device so that you are hands free, as you will be required to move and perform tasks throughout the physiotherapy session. Based on your injury or condition, access to a bed, or certain equipment may be beneficial throughout the virtual session. Performing your session on a portable phone, tablet or laptop is preferred as this will allow you to move throughout your house during the appointment as needed to access different areas.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED FOR YOUR TELEHEALTH SESSION?
- A tablet, phone, laptop, or computer with a built in camera (or set-up webcam), speakers and microphone*
- A moderately fast and stable internet connection
- *Please note during set-up of the physiotherapy software, you may need to enable microphone and camera permissions to allow the app to access these and ensure a seamless video call
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- “Does my extended health plan cover virtual physiotherapy sessions?”
- Due to the current circumstances of COVID-19 the majority of extended health care provider plans are currently covering Telehealth Physiotherapy services, including Sunlife, Manulife, Canada Life, Greenshield and many others. However, it is recommended that you confirm with your extended health care plan provider prior to your physiotherapy session.
- “Do you provide direct billing to my extended health care plan?”
- We provide direct billing for most extended health plans, please inquire with your plan information prior to setting up your appointment, this information will be collected with your consent forms via email.
- We are also licensed through FSCO for direct billing to auto insurers through HCAI when injured in a motor vehicle accident.
- For alternative forms of payment we accept VISA and MasterCard, your form of payment will not be billed until after your physiotherapy session is complete.